Saturday, April 21, 2018

Recuperation journey: Transplant forum inspires

As a kidney recipient I was invited to the sixth annual Join the Journey event Saturday at Messiah Baptist Church in Bridgeport. I'm so glad I was able to attend. 
I heard some amazing stories of strength and resilience recounted by other kidney transplant recipients, and a liver transplant recipient who now needs a kidney.
I'm pictured here with Joyce Albert, senior clinical transplant coordinator at Yale-New Haven Hospital, left, and Devon Greenwood, center, who donated a kidney to someone she didn't know. 
Her husband, William, was working and unable to attend. He needed a transplant last year and received one from my sister-in-law, Suzanne Watson, who stepped forward and was tested to be a donor when she learned I needed a kidney. 
Devon Greenwood said her husband is doing fine, as is she. I'm happy to report that Suzanne, my husband's sister, is also feeling fine.

Before going to the program I wrote this post about not being able to take anything from the breakfast buffet. 
I had no problem getting food straight from the kitchen. All of the church women working there were so friendly and accommodating to visitors!


No comments:

Post a Comment