Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Recuperation journey: Coincidence?

This post is not meant to be about me; I couldn't decide whether to recount this story or not, but it is interesting.

Several years ago I covered a solemn 9/11 remembrance ceremony at Emmett O'Brien Technical High School in Ansonia. 
At the time there were many large pine trees in front of the school, and students had printed out the names and bios of Connecticut residents killed in the terrorist attacks, and tacked the papers to the tree trunks.

After the ceremony, I walked over to one of the trees and to my surprise the name on the piece of paper was that of the only victim to whom I had a very slight connection. 
I didn't know Ed, but he was my sister-in-law Sue's brother-in-law, and I had met his wife and two young children many years earlier at a family party. Sue had told us that he perished in the attack. He was only 40.

Seeing a familiar name startled me. Was it a coincidence? Or was I meant to walk over to that particular tree? Hard to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment