Friday, July 1, 2016

Gnutty for gnomes, that's me

As you can see from the photo in the sidebar at right, I like gnomes.

I've long been attracted to them. They make me smile. 
And I've collected quite a few pieces of the garden statuary over the years. Easily amused? Maybe.

While shopping Tuesday I went to check out the solar lighting and while in that department I spied some gnomes! And they were on clearance! 
I had to get one.



I bought this "gnome on a stick" for my garden in the front yard. 
And it was half-price. Score one for the gnome collector! Maybe he needs a name.

On Wednesday I went to Lizzie's Corner Consignment and Gifts in Seymour to consign a few things. I saw this guy (below) reading a book and sitting on two more books and had to get him to add to my collection. 


Meet Norm the Gnome. 

Or is that Gnorm? OK, I'll stop.

I looked up garden gnomes on Wikipedia and this is what I found:

"A garden gnome, or lawn gnome, is a figurine of a small humanoid creature, usually wearing a pointy hat, displayed for the purpose of ornamentation on front lawns or in gardens. These figurines originated in 19th-century Germany, where they became known as Gartenzwerge (garden dwarfs). The application of the term gnome in English is first attested in the 1930s."

So this post ended up being a bit educational. I hope it also was a bit amusing.


No comments:

Post a Comment