Monday, August 15, 2022

Indiana mother's story underlines importance of living organ donation

This is shared from Facebook post


A distant cousin who I've only met through Facebook posted this story about an Indiana woman who shares my maiden name and, unfortunately, the same disease.

Kelly MacDonald Rice, 42, is a mother of two who desperately needs a kidney. 
Like me, she is living with Polycystic Kidney Disease, and my heart went out to her.
I inherited the disease from my father's (McDonald/ MacDonald) side. I call it the family curse. He and four of his siblings had PKD. Several cousins also have/had it.
I was extremely fortunate to receive a kidney five years ago from an altruistic donor, Robin Gilmartin. I'll be forever grateful to her for her life-changing gift.  
I messaged Kelly yesterday and learned she had started dialysis treatments last week.

Please read her story and, if you're able, consider becoming a living organ donor. You'll be giving someone a new lease on life.



No comments:

Post a Comment