Friday, December 18, 2015

Guest column: Shelton handmade market offers gift ideas, live music, holiday spirit

So, How Was It?

By Kayleigh Apicerno
SHELTON - For the second year in a row, Celebrate Shelton has held a Downtown Handmade Market in the Conti Building. 



Apicerno
If you don't know this building, it's that large brick structure at 415 Howe Ave. that is one side of the big parking lot by the Farmer's Market building at Veteran's Memorial Park (a.k.a the slab, a.k.a the Riverwalk). 

The Downtown Handmade Market is held on the first Saturday of each month from February through November. As the holidays approach, they ramp it up and hold the market every Saturday. Somewhere around 40 vendors take over the hallways and corners of the building while hundreds of shoppers pass by and make their selections. 

It was either last month or the month before that I purchased some soap from one of the vendors, Lisa's Soaps Naked and Natural. Since then I have thrown out all of my store bought shower products and have added to my handmade soap collection. I can't believe how much better my skin feels and I feel better about what I am putting on my body. At this past weekend's market, I purchased a face wash bar and I can already tell a difference. 

There is usually live music provided by local musicians that float through the halls, making the shopping experience even more special. The mimosas don't hurt, either! 

It is so great to see the old historic building take on such a wonderful new life. Quite a few local businesses have taken up residence in the building, giving the community even more reasons to stop by and check it out. Written Words Bookstore, for example, has been in the building for a few months now and they have a variety of book clubs that are worth checking out. I have been a part of the business and leadership book club for about a year and really do enjoy it! (#shamelessplug) In the good weather, they even have a walking book club where they walk the greenway while discussing the book. 

I am so excited for the new coffee shop that is opening up right next door to the book store! 
I poked my head in during the market this past weekend and couldn't believe what a beautiful space it is going to be! 

The Glass Source (main level) is one of the best places to find a special gift if you have anyone in your life like I do. The glass ornaments are beautiful and unique. 

Bring the Hoopla is, of course, a very fun place to stop by. No one leaves there without a smile! Did you know that hula hooping for 10 minutes burns almost 100 calories? Since I got my hoop, I have added it to my routine and have really seen and felt a difference. And the hoops are gorgeous! 

The vendors are all so great. Each market offers something special. Looking for a unique present? They have you covered. Looking for a great new necklace to go with that new dress? There's a vendor for that. Looking for something that you don't know you need to have? You will absolutely find something. 

Do I recommend this market? Yes. Will I be there Saturday? Yes, probably around 2 after I get out of class. 
I hope to see you there! 


Kayleigh Apicerno of Shelton is chair of the Young Emerging Professionals of the Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce and owner of Cloud Media Marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment