Monday, February 22, 2021

Klarides-Ditria : 81 percent of poll respondents against proposed mileage tax



Recently I asked a simple question – “Are you in favor of a mileage tax based on the number of miles you drive annually?” – based on Proposed HB 6080 submitted to the legislature this year.

Hundreds of you took the time to respond, and I want to thank each of you for your input and comments. 
The response was overwhelmingly against adding mileage-based taxes to the state. In fact, 80.99% of respondents were firmly against, 1.41% were in favor, 9.15% responded “maybe” and 8.45% were undecided.

A very small sample of your comments follows:

A.S. – Yes: “I think we need a way to fund road improvements and if this is a dedicated way to do that then I am Ok with it. I also support tolls.”

M.N. – Undecided: “I would love to learn more about this. Also, I am very concerned about the so called mansion tax. With the recent rise in property value due to COVID relocations, this is the wrong time for a new property tax.”

R.M. – Undecided: “Somehow we need to improve the state’s infrastructure. Not sure that I trust that any form of new taxes would go for that purpose. “lock boxes” have keys. I believe that additional bounding alone is the way either.”

K.M. – No: “Property Taxes Are High, Fuel Taxes Are High, State Income Taxes, Enough is Enough!”

J.L. – No: “Can y'all just work with what you have and stop taking our money for useless crap? If you keep raising taxes you should at least fix the damn roads.”

J.M. – No: “we taxed too much already we get taxed on what we make taxed to buy gas to get to work taxed for the car we drive taxed to buy the tires taxed to get rid of those tires taxed to buy and replace the parts on car we drive again we are taxed way too much already.”

A.B. – No: “Where do we stop on taxing; what next, taxing for texting/messaging? I never see any questions as to what tax would you like to see reduced/eliminated? Is this how anyone would run their family budget; no common sense!! Spend and tax, spend and tax.”

T.S. – No: “The governor and Hartford need to stop with the frivolous spending and reel in the budget. They treat residents as money trees while pricing working class families out of the state. I live in Seymour and work in Westport and I’m supposed to pay more in taxes because I can’t afford to live in Fairfield county?”

K.R. – No: “I can’t imagine how this will impact the Home Care industry. I am a visiting nurse. I drive an average of 250 miles a week just for work. Who will pay this? The employee? The employer is barely staying afloat as it is with reductions in reimbursement and all the other government fees and regulations. This is a horrible idea. I can’t believe they’re dredging this up again.”


State Rep. Nicole Klarides-Ditria, R-Seymour, represents the 105th District.

No comments:

Post a Comment