Friday, September 4, 2020

Grateful for my kidney transplant on PKD Awareness Day (and every day)




I have Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease - it
 runs in my father's family. He and four of his five siblings suffered from it; he was on dialysis for five years back in the 1970s. 

From the PKD Foundation website:

"ADPKD is one of the most common, life-threatening genetic diseases. 

"In ADPKD, fluid-filled cysts develop and enlarge in both kidneys, eventually leading to kidney failure. It’s the fourth leading cause of kidney failure, and more than 50% of people with ADPKD will develop kidney failure by age 50. Once a person has kidney failure, dialysis or a transplant are the only options.

"Unlike some genetic diseases, ADPKD doesn’t skip a generation, meaning it often affects many people in one family."


In May 2017 I was extremely fortunate to receive a kidney from an altruistic donor, Robin Gilmartin of West Hartford. At that time I was very close to starting dialysis treatments. 
I can never thank her enough for her wonderful gift! Ever grateful!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment