Sunday, September 8, 2024

Recuperation journey 2.0: The eyes have it

 


Eight days ago I was startled by an ocular event while working at my computer.

Out of nowhere I felt a goosh in my left eye. It was a sensation I had never felt before. I got up and looked in the mirror. I looked like a monster out of a horror movie. There was no visible white in my eye. I tried to tell myself not to panic, but I did. 

I thought I should go to the emergency room. Since I'm still not driving I called a friend who has been driving me to medical appointments, etc. and told her I needed to go to the ER.

It was after 9 p.m. when she came over and took a look at my eye. She reassured me that although it looked terrible, she had had a similar issue a few years ago and that it would eventually fade away. 

I wasn't in pain and the bloodiness wasn't affecting my vision so we decided to wait until the next morning for our ER visit. The physician there told me I had a  subconjunctival hemorrhage - a broken blood vessel in the eye and that there really is no treatment; I would just have to wait until the blood was absorbed into my body.  Fortunately it looks much better today.

Posting this not for sympathy, but as a public service announcement because apparently it can happen at any time. 

I thought I'd be kind and not post a photo of how it looked. You're welcome!


2 comments:

  1. Well, that was an interesting read. I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And you can thank me for not posting pic of my eye. ;)

      Delete