Thursday, March 8, 2018

Recuperation journey: World Kidney Day

I admit I lost track of time. 
This morning I read that today, the second Thursday in March, is World Kidney Day. 
The day is marked to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys.
March is National Kidney Month.

PKD, Polycystic Kidney Disease, is a horrible, inherited disorder for which there's no cure. Fluid-filled cysts develop in the kidneys and reduce their function, leading eventually to renal failure. It is one of many chronic kidney diseases.

Many members of my late father's side of the family suffered with it, and I also inherited it. 
But I was fortunate enough to receive a kidney from an altruistic donor last May, which explains my "recuperation journey" posts. And my never-ending gratitude to my donor.

I framed my Facebook profile pic this morning with #ENDPKD

No comments:

Post a Comment