Sunday, July 2, 2017

Recuperation journey: Watching the birds


When I was really little my mother started watching the birds in our yard. She would enthusiastically tell me about her newfound interest, and of course I had no interest.

"I saw a tufted titmouse!" she'd exclaim, or something similar. She'd keep a written record of the dates she saw various feathered friends. I didn't understand the enjoyment of it all. 

My father bought her a good pair of binoculars and Roger Tory Peterson's Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America to help her identify what she was watching.

Fast forward decades later. I find myself watching the birds outside my window.
The difference is I also enjoy trying to capture their photos, such as these I took in the spring:







Another observation: I've discovered there are other ladies "of a certain age" like me who also like to watch the birds.

Hmmm....  



No comments:

Post a Comment