Saturday, July 15, 2017

Recuperation journey: 'Prison for junk'

Taking a walk back in time
My mother passed away more than a year ago at age 92, and this afternoon our son Cameron helped us clean out a storage unit that contained her things - a china set, crystal goblets, old vinyl record albums, a brass umbrella stand.

When he and I pulled up to the storage facility, surrounded by locked, wrought-iron fences and all, I said, "I feel like we're visiting a prison." 
We chuckled. Cameron said, "It's like a prison for junk." 

That's pretty accurate, I'd say! I'm sure people put stuff there and pay the bill every month but never get around to returning for it. I'm glad we finally did. 

But I soon learned there was more than junk inside for us. There were treasures, especially the photos!

I had to share this one of my parents' wedding day. It was taken outside the Little Church Around the Corner (Church of the Resurrection) in Manhattan, where they were married in 1951. I've never seen the photo before and I was thrilled to find it.


My maternal grandparents, my parents, and my paternal grandmother, October, 1951. 


2 comments: