Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Birthday bash in Derby to benefit fund at Valley Community Foundation


A message from Marc J. Garofalo: 

Dear Family and Friends, 

Thirty years ago this August, my father took me to Italy for the first time. 
The trip was one of the significant experiences of my life. We didn’t go to Rome, Naples, Florence or Venice. We stayed in the hometown of our ancestors and it was life changing. When you experience the everyday culture of a place, your eyes are opened to sights you never imagined. 

As I walked the same streets as so many generations of my family, I wanted everyone to share this type of cultural experience at least once in their lives. 
I was very lucky growing up that my parents exposed us to diverse experiences - live theater, music, the World Series, good food, bus trips, professional football, European adventures, and other priceless memories that we carry with us today. 

As the first half century of my life comes to a close, I want to celebrate it forward for future generations by establishing a charitable fund at the Valley Community Foundation. 
The Marc J. Garofalo Cultural Experience Fund will help young people of Derby and vicinity enjoy a unique experience that they might not choose or could not afford. It is not a scholarship, but a vehicle to open the minds and hearts of the next generation by sponsoring a cultural experience that will inspire a lifetime of passion and learning. 

My hope is that the opportunity of a new or diverse adventure may change someone’s world or simply create a great memory to cherish forever. 
This is the inspiration of the Fund and the spirit with which I offer it to the next generation. What better way to get the ball rolling than to host a night of experiences with you! We will have a cabaret stage show with live music and singers, some great stories, some bad jokes, a DJ for dancing, raffles, a silent and live auction, and other surprises. I do not want any gifts. 
The event is a BYO food and drinks. We will be serving special desserts and coffee for your enjoyment. I hope you share my passion and will share generously to make this dream a reality. 

I look forward to seeing you on June 16, 2017 for a cultural experience 50 years in the making. 

Sincerely, 
Marc J. Garofalo

No comments:

Post a Comment