Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I can barely believe I missed the bear in my yard

Since I'm home recuperating from surgery I spend a lot of time working on my desktop computer. 
I happen to have a perfect view of the side yard from where I sit. 

That's how I'm able to see opportunities for wildlife photos - i.e. cardinals, blue jays, and squirrels. The camera is right next to me.

But this morning I missed seeing a perfect photo subject - a black bear cub.

Yes, a friend of ours pulled up to do some work in the house at 10:30 a.m., and the first thing he said when he came in the door is that he thought he saw a bear ambling across the road. 
He said what looked like a bear was walking, with its head down, along the hedge in the side yard - the same yard I can readily see from my desk.
Naturally I wasn't sitting here, so I didn't see the cub. I was in the kitchen.

Soon thereafter an Ansonia police officer stopped by and told us about the bear, warning us if we had animals to keep them inside. My cat never goes outside, nor does he try to escape when we open the door, thankfully.

I went on an Ansonia FB page and found a thread of Hilltop residents talking about the bear sighting.

I saw a video of the bear cub playing with a bird feeder somewhere in the vicinity on Channel 8's site.

All I can say is, dang, I missed it. I hope people just leave the bear alone and let it amble back into the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment