Friday, February 15, 2019

Recuperation journey: Celebrating life

On Monday I celebrated my eight-year cancerversary. 

No cake, no presents, just gratitude.

On Feb. 11, 2011 I was enjoying dinner with my family when my physician called and said something like this: 
"We got your mammogram results and they show that you have cancer." 

I don't remember the exact words, or what he said after that. 
I do know that marked the day my breast cancer journey - two surgeries, months of chemo and radiation, lymphedema - began. 
I'm grateful to be here to write about it.

When I was first diagnosed one of my surgeon's nurses reassured me by saying "before you know it, this will all be in your rear-view mirror."
She was right.

I know I speak for all survivors when I say it's wonderful to celebrate another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment