Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Still working on kicking cancer to the curb

Today, Feb. 11, is a special day in our family.

It's not a birthday or wedding anniversary, but it is my anniversary of being a four-year survivor of breast cancer.

We were eating dinner when I got the call from my doctor who told me I had breast cancer. It was a shock, yes. And it took a while for his words to sink in, since I felt fine.

From that day to today it has been an interesting four years. 

The years have not only been filled with necessary medical procedures but also filled with getting to know a great group of people, from health care professionals to members of the Circle of Friends support group at Griffin Hospital in Derby and classmates in our exercise group that meets at the Center for Cancer Care at Griffin.

I'm extremely grateful to have met the wonderful women (and their spouses) who donate their time and talents to Seymour Pink.

I just re-read this column I wrote in late 2012 for the New Haven Register. Not much has changed, and I daresay that's a good thing. 

I'm still doing what I can to kick cancer to the curb.


No comments:

Post a Comment