Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Seuss stories shared at Seymour school

Bungay celebrates 'Read Across America Day' 
Bungay School Principal MarySue Feige, left, reads aloud "Green Eggs and Ham" Tuesday with the Cat in the Hat (a.k.a. Sam Pollastro) to children in Kindergarten and Grades 1 and 2.  

Seymour Middle School Assistant Principal Ernie DiStasi reads a Dr. Seuss story to fourth graders Monday.

Seymour Board of Education member Jay Hatfield reads a Dr. Seuss story Monday to third graders. 


Monday, the birthday of children's author Theodor Seuss Geisel, best known as Dr. Seuss, was Read Across America Day and at Bungay School it marked the kickoff of a week-long celebration of reading.

Students took the following oath, which is designed to instill a lifelong love of reading:


I promise to read
Each day and each night
I know it’s the key 
To growing up right.

I’ll read to myself,
I’ll read to a crowd,
It makes no difference
If silent or loud.

I’ll read at my desk.
At home and at school,
On my bean bag or bed,
By the fire or pool.

Each book that I read
Puts smarts in my head.
‘Cause brains grow more thoughts 
The more they are fed.

So I take this oath
To make reading my way
Of feeding my brain

What it needs every day.



Please click here to read my story in the Valley Independent Sentinel.


No comments:

Post a Comment