Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Recuperation journey: Transplant ties


A cousin and I have more in common than just being part of the McDonald family.

I had a kidney transplant May 9, and my cousin, John, just marked his 16th anniversary of getting a kidney donated to him from a close friend in August, 2001.

We both learned way back when we were in our 20s that we had inherited Polycystic Kidney Disease, a disease that has afflicted many in the family.

Since John was driving through Connecticut today on his way to a high school reunion in Massachusetts he asked me to meet for lunch. And we did just that.
It's nice to have a flexible schedule so I can occasionally fit in fun stuff!

We chatted about kidneys and anti-rejection meds, and we shared childhood memories of extended family members and the fun times we spent at get-togethers. 


It was really great to see him. I hope we can get together again in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment