Monday, February 29, 2016

March challenge compels correspondent to confront chronic condition

I recently discovered a challenge as I was strolling along the Internet, and I may just give it a go.

It's the fifth annual PKD (polycystic kidney disease for those lucky enough not to be acquainted with it) Challenge for March, which is National Kidney Month. 
The goal is to raise awareness of the genetic disease.

As I wrote last October in a blog post here, PKD has played a major role in my late father's side of the family. 
Too many of my relatives were burdened with it, and coincidentally it was in the month of March in 1976 that my father passed away from complications of having PKD.

I inherited the disease and for the past year or so I've been trying to follow a diet that's low in sodium, protein, potassium, and phosphorus. It's not that easy - notice I said "trying."

The 31-day PKD Challenge starts Tuesday with a video that offers information about the disease. That should be easy enough to do!

My idea is that if I commit to writing regularly about the challenge I would be more likely to participate in it. We'll see.

I'm hoping someone who also has this disease will read this post and join the challenge, and/or contact me through the comments section. 
I'm interested in learning your story.

Here are some factoids to consider:




* It's always important to keep a sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment