Friday, October 17, 2014

Crisco holds senior fair in Ansonia

Hundreds attend annual event
State Sen. Joseph J. Crisco, D-Woodbridge, directs some of the hundreds of people entering his 29th Annual Senior Fair Thursday at Warsaw Park in Ansonia. / Submitted photo

ANSONIA – Democratic state Sen. Joseph J. Crisco Jr.’s 29th Annual Senior Fair was another rousing success today, attracting hundreds of area seniors who – despite the rain – trekked out to Warsaw Park to receive free dental and blood pressure screenings, a massage, nutrition tips or to meet with more than 40 state, local and non-profit vendors.

“There’s more of a need for this senior fair than ever before,” Crisco said as he surveyed the hundreds of attendees collecting information on energy assistance, transportation, housing options, fire safety, fall prevention, weather emergencies and more.

“We’re looking at a ‘silver tsunami’ of aging residents hitting Connecticut over the next 15 years, and we need to prepare for that in order to make their lives better. That’s what this senior fair helps accomplish.”

The annual Senior Fair was begun in 1987. The non-political event typically attracts several hundred area residents to get flu shots, play bingo, learn about scams and fraud, apply for drivers’ licenses, manage chronic diseases and meet with state and local agency representatives such as the local police or visiting nurses.

Mary Jane Drauss, 69, of Derby, attended last year’s Senior Fair, and is very glad she did.
“When I was here last year I got information on identity theft. I never thought I would have to use it myself. Then someone broke into my house when my husband and I were at church,” Drauss said. 
“With the help of the information we got from the senior fair, we were able to act immediately – we called the police and the bank to protect out credit and our bank accounts.”

Mary Ann Drenkhahn, 71, of Ansonia, was also pleased to be in attendance, especially after Crisco provided her with a replacement raffle ticket for the one she had just lost.

“My neighbor told be about the senior fair, and I thought I’d come and see what it’s all about,” Drenkhahn said. 
“I think it’s wonderful that someone does something like this. You can gather a lot of information just walking through here.”


This is a press release from Crisco's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment